PIM and Spryker Product Management

I am wondering a bit about the integration of a PIM in spryker.

I haven’t that much experience with Product Information Systems at all until now but to me a PIM sounds like the central place for all things that involving my products.

So, to me it would absolutely make sense to have one central knowledge base about

• what products exists
  • which attributes they have
  • how much they are
  • how many are available
  • in which warehouse they are physical available

This data can be quiet fix (e.g. product attributes) or highly flexible (prices, stock etc.)

Now i am wondering how to integrate this with spryker.
What i mainly found in spryker is, that all product data is managed by spryker itself via importing CSV files. Stock, product data and so on is represented by spryker itself again.
Sure, an external PIM could export a CSV which spryker can import. But doesn’t this fail the basic idea of beeing always up to date with my real time data of my pim? What if another (non spryker) channel makes use of the PIM and (for example) decreases the stock in a warehouse.
I would think that maybe a rest API or something similar is maybe more powerful at this point?

It feels like a bit of producing much overhead and being less consistent to export from a PIM, transfer it to spryker Product representation and import it to spryker.

Do i missed some general stuff about this? I am searching for a best practice with spryker, especially when a PIM already exists and spryker have to “draw” from it additionally.

So, is importing all the data the way to go or are there (maybe in future) another approaches to manage the products in an external, centralized way?

Best regards

Hi Jim,

Good question. There are multiple ways to do this and your choice should be based on the project setup.

Option 1: Backoffice API
We have planned to release backoffice APIs for product management operations in the next year. The advantage would be near to real time operations. The disadvantage is that this is not made to support heavy data load (like exporting the changes to 1000 products at the same time).

Option 2: Middleware
Spryker offers also a middleware that can be used as integration point. The middleware is the counterpart to the API approach. Data transfer happens according to a schedule and can therefore include much more data.

Option 3: Existing industry partner integration
Spryker partners with other PIM software vendors like Akeneo. For these software vendors there are existing individual integrations available

Option 4: Individual integration
As a final option, you can also create your own integrations in the project.

If you have a specific PIM vendor in mind that is not among our industry partners yet, feel free to contact our industry partners to find out about the best solution for the project.

Cheers,
Karl